Skip to main content

A Christmas Story

Last night's service was like no other I've ever been to. One of the things that I like about the Episcopal Church is that it is consistent. One service to the next and one church to the next I can count on what will happen in a service.
Last night before the service started I noticed a great number of people I did not recognize. That's OK great to have more in the church. And lots of talking, OK there are a bunch of old folks that like to talk. Then the service started and I tried to find the song...it was different from what was printed. OK last minute change I can go with that. Then we get to the Gospel. I'm waiting for the procession of the cross, candles and bible. I'm looking at the Gospel in the program and I notice Father Suhar wandering toward the middle of the church. He begins to give the sermon. I'm flipping through my program thinking I missed something. Nope, He just skipped over the Gospel. Okay? Go right to the sermon. Jan says he included the Gospel in the sermon but it was his version of it. Ya know they write these things down for a reason.
So we get through that and move on to the offertory. With all the new people in this was a challenge. Many held the plate wondering what to do. During the offertory the bell ringers were attempting to play. The first song restarted 3 times and I heard some of the bell players starting to snicker.
We move on to communion. Uh? did anyone bring the offertory plates to the altar? Nope. The "ushers" move into position and the choirs moves to the rail and I hear what sounds like a horse and Jan is giggling. Somehow she managed to bust her sandal and it was flopping around as she walked. I check outside to see if there are any storm clouds gathering. I'm sure lightning will strike us all.
The people in the first few rows were new to the church and were unsure what they should do for communion. The good father had offered no instructions to the new comers and the "ushers" also offered no help. So we just waited. Finally the "ushers" moves to the next row and we started to go the the rail. The guy next to me was going to dip his host in the wine. He was going for a good dip and dropped the host into the chalice and began fishing it out with his fingers. I have never seen that happen.
After that the service was rather uneventful. Changed a few songs, Jan accusing me of moving an angel and a guy wandering around during the service talking to people and videoing parts of the service. Then we get to the part at the end where we all light candles and sing Silent Night. I'm sure we will burn the place down. But we made it through that and were not struck by lightning. So Merry Christmas and a Happy Krampus to all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One of the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge

 It's here again, the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge ! I have challenged myself to ride 300 miles in the month of September and I have challenged myself and you to raise $2500 to find a cure for childhood cancer.  We are off to a good start, to date I have raised $1226 from friends and family. I have a team with 7 members so far. As a team we hope to raise $5000 and ride 1000 miles. I think we can exceed both of those challenges.  I did my first ride this morning and hoped to ride 15 miles. When I was done the app said I had ridden 214 miles in about 2 and a half hours. Quite impressive but incorrect. I contacted GCC tech support and they assured me the glitch would be corrected.  i'm going to try and ride as many days as possible this month and document them on this blog. I may have to do a few days on stationary bikes in hotel workout rooms or borrow bikes from friends but somehow I'll get the miles in. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause follow this link  htt

Day Two of the Great Cycle Challenge

  The weather was a little nicer today. Mid 80s and for Florida low humidity, about 75%. I rode almost 12 miles today. The Great Cycle Challenge app is still not recording my rides correctly and giving me many extra miles. Technology, Sigh! Below is my actual route and distance.  In the picture I posted today shows how far the bay came up during Hurricane Idalia. That high water mark I can see all during my ride. Here the shore rises up to the road so the water did not come up as far. Other places I could see the high water mark on the other side of the street. Along the Causeway the water came up over the trail in many places but as far as I ride I did not see any places it went over the highway.  One of the interesting things I found in all this detritus washed up by the storm was thousands of red mangrove seeds. you can see them in the picture above, they are the long green and brown sticks. I noticed that many of them had already begun to sprout leaves and roots. I guess this is a

Day 22 of the Great Cycle Challenge

  When I ride I get plenty of time to think about things. I think about how fast I am going, what I had for breakfast and what I'll have for dinner. I think about the other riders I pass on my ride and how this month I'm helping some kids. Often at this spot I think about otters. According to the sign they cross the road here. I've been riding this route for 6 years. At all times of the day, I have yet to see an otter. I've seen all sorts of other animals but nary an otter. Maybe someday.  There is a little more than a week left in the Great Cycle Challenge and I'm still a little short of my goal of $2500 for the kids. It is more that I've ever attempted to raise for this challenge but I think we can get there. Any amount helps. Just go to my Great Cycle Challenge page and click donate .