Skip to main content

Christmas and a Wedding

 Hi all, it's been a while. I guess with the continuing pandemic and all it's variations I just got complacent. Riding my bike, shopping online and planning a wedding. But now Christmas and the wedding are over and I can get back to telling about what happens during retirement.  

Last year my son Austin became engaged to his now wife Morgan.

 A tradition that my mom started is to make the newly weds a memory quilt. At the beginning of last year Jan and I began to make Morgan and Austins memory quilt. To the right are the fabrics we bought. The lighter blue is the fabric was sent to 40 family and friends.  We asked them to create a memory they have of Austin or Morgan on the square. As we got them back I started sewing them together into a quilt top.

 As we got them back I started sewing them together into a quilt top.  

We gave them the quilt on December 28, 2020. Both Austin and Morgan were completely surprised.  We displayed the quilt for all of their friends and family to see at the rehearsal dinner and welcome party we had the next day. 

But before that we celebrated a late Christmas.  It seems that after my heart surgery our family discovered that it was ok to have Christmas on days other than December 25. All that had to happen is that we are all together, or do our best to try to be.  This year we had Christmas on December 27th. It was just as much fun maybe more because it was a location Christmas in a cute AirBnB in Atlantic Beach North Carolina. It was great having everyone together. 

Within walking distance of the AirBnB was a very long boardwalk that looked out into Bogue Sound. We visited there a few times. Noah had a great time walking out there and exploring the beach around the cabana.

After a great Christmas we all moved over to the Beaufort Hotel for a wedding. 
The first thing we had to do is get the room ready for the rehearsal dinner and after party. The spot we chose was Tight Lines Pub and Brewing Company. Upstairs they have a large room for our dinner. Jessica had planned some tasteful decorations for the party and we had worked out a way to display the memory quilt for everyone to see. 

Before the party we had a rehearsal to attend. The location that Austin and Morgan chose was beautiful.  We had all the important participants there and practiced the ceremony in reverse. That way we knew what order to line up in. Luckily for this wedding Jan and I only had to walk up the aisle and sit in our reserved seats, front row!

After the rehearsal we all rode a bus over to the Tight Line for a fun dinner.  
Austin, Morgan and some of the bridal party sat at the head table. We used that opportunity to toast (in some cases roast) the future Mr. and Mrs. Bliss. I gave a father of the groom toast (roast) that was well received. Both Austin and Morgan were well spoken of by all. 


After the dinner all the wedding guests that were in town were invited to a welcome party at the Tight Line. We had buses that brought guests from the hotel to the Pub, we wanted everyone to enjoy themselves without worrying about driving and parking.  After several bus trips there were about 100 people were there celebrating Austin and Morgans upcoming nuptials.

Many of the guests enjoyed the couples signature drink which was called a French 75. This cocktail while a little tart was enjoyed by most.  

The next morning I got up early to watch the sun rise and think of all that will be happening this New Years Eve. A moment of quiet contemplation with coffee before all that was to happen.

The 31st was a day of getting ready. The girls spent the day having their hair and make-up done. I spent the day relaxing, waiting till the last minute to put my tux on. I had a late lunch because the reception dinner after the wedding would be later.  
Before the wedding the photographer wanted to get pictures of the bridal party while there was still good light.

After the pre-wedding pictures it was time to have an old southern tradition of burying a bottle of bourbon to help with the weather. They dug it up and the weather was great.

After all the pictures were taken it was time to get into position for the wedding. Noah was asked to be the ring bearer. He did a great job and looked so grown-up in his tux. I don't have any pictures during the wedding yet because we are still waiting for the official photography to be released but I did get a picture of all my kids and grandkids.
I will post more wedding pictures when I get them. 

The reception after the wedding was lots of fun. We had it there at the hotel in the ballroom. Austin and Morgan took their first dance right before dinner was served. 


Overall it was a fun wedding and I'm happy to now have Morgan in our lives. She will be a wonderful addition to our family. I look forward to the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One of the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge

 It's here again, the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge ! I have challenged myself to ride 300 miles in the month of September and I have challenged myself and you to raise $2500 to find a cure for childhood cancer.  We are off to a good start, to date I have raised $1226 from friends and family. I have a team with 7 members so far. As a team we hope to raise $5000 and ride 1000 miles. I think we can exceed both of those challenges.  I did my first ride this morning and hoped to ride 15 miles. When I was done the app said I had ridden 214 miles in about 2 and a half hours. Quite impressive but incorrect. I contacted GCC tech support and they assured me the glitch would be corrected.  i'm going to try and ride as many days as possible this month and document them on this blog. I may have to do a few days on stationary bikes in hotel workout rooms or borrow bikes from friends but somehow I'll get the miles in. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause follow this link  htt

Day Two of the Great Cycle Challenge

  The weather was a little nicer today. Mid 80s and for Florida low humidity, about 75%. I rode almost 12 miles today. The Great Cycle Challenge app is still not recording my rides correctly and giving me many extra miles. Technology, Sigh! Below is my actual route and distance.  In the picture I posted today shows how far the bay came up during Hurricane Idalia. That high water mark I can see all during my ride. Here the shore rises up to the road so the water did not come up as far. Other places I could see the high water mark on the other side of the street. Along the Causeway the water came up over the trail in many places but as far as I ride I did not see any places it went over the highway.  One of the interesting things I found in all this detritus washed up by the storm was thousands of red mangrove seeds. you can see them in the picture above, they are the long green and brown sticks. I noticed that many of them had already begun to sprout leaves and roots. I guess this is a

Day 22 of the Great Cycle Challenge

  When I ride I get plenty of time to think about things. I think about how fast I am going, what I had for breakfast and what I'll have for dinner. I think about the other riders I pass on my ride and how this month I'm helping some kids. Often at this spot I think about otters. According to the sign they cross the road here. I've been riding this route for 6 years. At all times of the day, I have yet to see an otter. I've seen all sorts of other animals but nary an otter. Maybe someday.  There is a little more than a week left in the Great Cycle Challenge and I'm still a little short of my goal of $2500 for the kids. It is more that I've ever attempted to raise for this challenge but I think we can get there. Any amount helps. Just go to my Great Cycle Challenge page and click donate .