Skip to main content

A lot going on

William Blake / Satan Smiting Job with Sore Boils c.1826


A lot has been happening over the last week or so. I try to find something funny or positive to write about. But what's been going on both in the world and in my own life that has been difficult.

A little over a month ago I had a blood test that came back with an elevated PSA number. An indicator of prostate cancer. Seriously! It is said that God does not give you more than you can handle. I've read Job in the Bible and I really have no interest in discovering my limit.

At the beginning of the month I thought we would be visiting both my daughter and her family and Austin and Morgan in North Carolina. Then travailing on to Evansville In. to visit Jans Dad. With my diagnosis it was decided that they would visit us. Then we decided Austin should not come because of the increasing threat of the Coronavirus and flying was not a good idea. Then we decided that it may not be a good idea for Jessica and Noah to travel to us because Jan and I were going into self-quarantine.

I had a biopsy of my prostate done. Not necessarily the most invasive procedure that I have had done to my body but close. Of course the results came back positive for cancer. But according to the doctor it is treatable and currently slow growing. The treatment that we have decided follow it hormone therapy followed by radiation. I really did not want surgery because after my heart surgery I kinda had enough of that.

Now the hormone therapy is 6 months in duration and consists of one shot that lasts that long. I was told that the treatment drops my testosterone level which starves the cancer cells and should reduce my PSA level to near 0. That's a good thing. Side effects, similar to menopause in women. OK woah, hold on. Watching Hallmark Christmas movies and complaining that the children never call?  No the doctor said that there may be fatigue, loss of stamina, and hot flashes. I have been sleeping in but with this self-quarantine I really have no reason to get up early. I'm still riding my bike and maintaining the time and distance I was doing before the shot. As far as hot flashes as Jan will say I am usually cold and don't mind the heat so I'm good with that.

Public Service Announcement: Guys if you are 50 years old or so or if you know a guy that age GET YOUR PSA CHECKED. It is just a blood test and this can be treated the earlier the better.

Because of the coronavirus and self-quarantine Jan and I are watching a lot of TV. Jan found out about an add on to Amazon Broadway HD. So the the past few days we have been watching Broadway plays. Mostly musicals. I'm assuming its the hormones. Right now its Cats. Visually it is an interesting show but I'm totally missing the story line or why there is such a fuss about it. Lithe dancers in tight cat unitards can only carry a show so long.  But now I can check that show off my list as having had seen it. Next I'm thinking about watching King Lear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One of the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge

 It's here again, the 2023 Great Cycle Challenge ! I have challenged myself to ride 300 miles in the month of September and I have challenged myself and you to raise $2500 to find a cure for childhood cancer.  We are off to a good start, to date I have raised $1226 from friends and family. I have a team with 7 members so far. As a team we hope to raise $5000 and ride 1000 miles. I think we can exceed both of those challenges.  I did my first ride this morning and hoped to ride 15 miles. When I was done the app said I had ridden 214 miles in about 2 and a half hours. Quite impressive but incorrect. I contacted GCC tech support and they assured me the glitch would be corrected.  i'm going to try and ride as many days as possible this month and document them on this blog. I may have to do a few days on stationary bikes in hotel workout rooms or borrow bikes from friends but somehow I'll get the miles in. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause follow this link  htt

Day Two of the Great Cycle Challenge

  The weather was a little nicer today. Mid 80s and for Florida low humidity, about 75%. I rode almost 12 miles today. The Great Cycle Challenge app is still not recording my rides correctly and giving me many extra miles. Technology, Sigh! Below is my actual route and distance.  In the picture I posted today shows how far the bay came up during Hurricane Idalia. That high water mark I can see all during my ride. Here the shore rises up to the road so the water did not come up as far. Other places I could see the high water mark on the other side of the street. Along the Causeway the water came up over the trail in many places but as far as I ride I did not see any places it went over the highway.  One of the interesting things I found in all this detritus washed up by the storm was thousands of red mangrove seeds. you can see them in the picture above, they are the long green and brown sticks. I noticed that many of them had already begun to sprout leaves and roots. I guess this is a

Day 22 of the Great Cycle Challenge

  When I ride I get plenty of time to think about things. I think about how fast I am going, what I had for breakfast and what I'll have for dinner. I think about the other riders I pass on my ride and how this month I'm helping some kids. Often at this spot I think about otters. According to the sign they cross the road here. I've been riding this route for 6 years. At all times of the day, I have yet to see an otter. I've seen all sorts of other animals but nary an otter. Maybe someday.  There is a little more than a week left in the Great Cycle Challenge and I'm still a little short of my goal of $2500 for the kids. It is more that I've ever attempted to raise for this challenge but I think we can get there. Any amount helps. Just go to my Great Cycle Challenge page and click donate .