Skip to main content

The Trip Continues, Memphis, TN

Update on Day 1, Jacksonville

I'm pleased to announce that on October 28th Elizabeth and Cody Sims had a 5lb 2oz baby girl. They are all healthy and happy. I look forward to meeting my new grand niece.




Day 4
, Memphis, TN. Today we traveled from Huntsville to Memphis, home of Elvis. 

We checked into our lovely AirBnB on Adams street within blocks of Beale Street "Home of the Blues" 
That evening we drove over to Beale Street to have dinner, explore and go on a Ghost tour. After dropping my charges off at the Blues City Cafe I found parking in a nearby parking garage. While in the garage I took a picture of where I left the car so I could find it later. I texted this picture to my son Austin, who visited Memphis during a college bowl game, and commented on the aroma and patina of the parking garage. Austin responded "That's how Beale street does!" 

After taking a look at Beale Street I found my group already seated at the Blues City Cafe. The cafe was bustling with quite a diverse group of diners and servers. I could hear some of the cooks in the back singing. I guess everyone is a singer in Memphis. The restaurant promises to "Put some South in your Mouth"  and features ribs. 
I decided to try out the sides and was not disappointed. A trio of turnip greens, seafood gumbo and soul stew. Yummm! This filled me up for our next adventure that evening. A spooky ghost tour of downtown Memphis.
We took the Haunted Memphis Walking Ghost Tour. I was told that the tour happened rain or shine, moon shine that is. 
But before the tour Jan and Patty sat at the bar at the Blues City Band Box next door to the Blues City Cafe. Mark, Jenny and I waited outside.
We met for the beginning of the tour at Alfred's On Beale. It was not raining. By the time we got to our first scary spot the rain had moved in. But just like the post office "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night" will stop us from experiencing the supernatural. 


 
Day 5, Graceland.  The Home of Elvis Presley. We drove this far we had to visit. 
But first breakfast. If you are in Memphis and looking for a place for breakfast try out Sunrise Memphis. Their claim of the best breakfast in Memphis is not an exaggeration. They served a really good meal and the coffee was hot and plentiful. 

After a hearty breakfast we headed over to Graceland, us and a whole lot of other Elvis fans. Some really big fans.  
While there were a lot of people there in looking at the place I'm sure that they are capable of handling many more. 

I'm not sure who Elvis's interior designer was but it was ....something. Eclectic might be one way to describe it. I think if Elvis wanted it he bought it.
And he bought a lot of stuff.

Day 5, still in Memphis.
The Lorraine Motel and the Civil Rights Museum


This is a very comprehensive museum of the generational struggle for civil rights in the United States. 
 
But even here in this solemn location there was still a struggle going on. Across the street there was a protester committing on the amount of money spent on the museum. 





Coming up next Hot Springs.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally Hot Springs Arkansas

 Day 6 , October 15, Hot Springs. Here we stayed at an AirBnB on Lake Hamilton. It was very nice but before we got to our new residence (If you are keeping track this is the 5th place we've stayed so far on this trip) we stopped by downtown Hot Springs for a tour.  We started at the Fordyce Bathhouse Visitor Center. This is the park headquarters and has been beautifully restored. We were able to tour the bathhouse and see how it looked in its prime.  The sculpture of the Spanish Conquistador  and the Tiffany stained glass ceiling were in the men's tub and steam room. The ladies section was not quite as well appointed.  Here is the women's dressing room . While nice and functional it was not quite up to the standards of the men's room. Down the hall from this room was the third floor sun deck where the ladies could catch some sun without any prying eyes. I'm not sure how much sun they got because the outfits displayed there were long sleeved, ankle length dresses...

Joy 3/09/22

Going out for lunch with friends and family. Something I have missed doing for the past several years. Now with the pandemic seemingly under control we all can start getting back to normal. Today we visited Hellas Greek restaurant and bakery. We started with Saganaki . I had one of my favorites, grilled octopus. For dessert it was chocolate covered baklava. Overall a great way to spend lunch.

Alarm Clock

Now that I'm retired each morning really is a new day. In the past most days have been planned out well in advance. Get up shower, eat breakfast, go to work, repeat till the weekend. Weekend, do what I could not get to during the week. Now I got a more open schedule. I find that my mornings consist of getting up when I open my eyes. Then fixing coffee and drinking a cup. While I'm doing that I decide what I want for breakfast. Jan is not as infatuated with breakfast as I am and can get by with just a bowl of cereal. But I need something cooked and more coffee. So I start the morning with no more plan than to fix a nice breakfast and have coffee. I watch the news, read the paper, and eat breakfast. Some days I mix it up by eating out on the patio. My signal now to start my day is when I reach the bottom of my cup of coffee. As you can see I'm now at that point. Today my plan is to get out all the suitcases out and see which ones we will be taking on our upcoming trip t...